I tried out this recipe a few weeks ago and let me tell you, it was a smash!
These cookies are so delicious and not difficult at all to make (always a plus in my book).
They look so cute and festive too, AND they're low fat! (ha. ha. ha. not. but it's worth it).
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. packed light brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. liquid red food coloring (I didn't use quite this much...)
1/2 c. buttermilk
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1 c. marshmallow cream (such as jet puff, my personal fave)
sprinkles for decoration!
1) preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray cooking sheets with cooking oil.
2) In medium-sized bowl, Whisk together the flour, cocoas, baking soda and salt.
3) using an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, then the vanilla and food coloring. Alternatively add the flour mixture and buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated.
4) drop lovel Tbsp of the batter onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Baking until the top are set and spring back when lightly pressed, 6-8 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
5) while the cookies cool, use an electric miser to beat the cream cheese until smooth. add the marshmallow cream and beat until fluffy, aout 3 minutes. spread 2 level tbsp of filling onto half of the cookies, then sandwich with the remaining cookies. Sprinkle the sprinkles around the edges. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature before serving!
*disclaimer* Not my recipe, I found it in a magazine at the dermatologist's office! :)